Tuesday 11 March 2014

Extendable dog leads and fab friends.

So it's been 11 days since I started my fundraising. So far I have a fantastic £180. That is 18% of my total target and I still have 18 weeks and 5 days left to go. That's 131 days. So I figure that since I'm so good at maths I'll provide some figures!! Here goes-

I need to raise £6.25 pence every day to make my total.

OR

I need to convince 820 people to be my friend and donate £1

OR

164 friends who all donate £5 each.

Other maths I have worked out (Clever girl I am!!)

I will run approximately 406 miles in training. Actually down to 393 now since I worked that out.

I have 57 training runs planned.

On to more serious business. I spoke to Michael today from the MNDA fundraising team. He has been really helpful and is going to get my face in the local newspapers!!! So watch this space. I apparently need a high resolution picture of me running for which I have requested the services of my friend Mike Gatiss. Top photographer extraordinaire. (Link for fantastic photo opportunities hopefully to follow!)

I have also roped in my fabulously amazing friend Laura Denny to help make this blog a more pretty and pleasing to the eye read. As I am totally useless with the creative stuff and she is totally fabulous.

I have also joined up to the MNDA Virgin London Marathon Facebook Page. Through all the running and excitement of fundraising I am very good at distracting myself away from the real reason I am running. I am doing it for my dad. Reading other peoples stories and experiences is very emotional and far too close to the bone, but is part of a grieving process I need to confront.
As I sit writing this I feel the lump in my throat and the tears threaten to gain momentum. It's been 10 years since my dad passed away and yet it is still far easier to ignore emotions than confront them.

While running this evening I realised that I don't actually know very much about the disease that took my dad when he was far too young to go. This is probably down to the fact that it is easier to ignore it and pretend it's not there. But as they say, it is better to face your fears.
On the subject of fear, I think most runners will agree that dogs are a concern at times. I'm not frightened of the dogs themselves but while out this evening I had the very real possibility of a Red Setter cutting across my path and clothes lining me with his extendable lead!!!! Worse still I had no one videoing and would have missed out on the £250 You've Been Framed money!!

No comments:

Post a Comment